- South Africa has one of the oldest meteor scars in the world. The meteor plummeted to Earth nearly two billion years ago, predating the heady days of oxygen and multi-celled life. The Vredefort Dome was recently declared a World Heritage Site.
- South Africa is the world’s leader in mining and minerals. It has nearly 90% of the platinum metals on Earth, 80% of the manganese, 73% of the chrome, 45% of the vanadium and 41% of the gold.
- The world is divided into six floral kingdoms. One of these is located entirely within South Africa. The Cape Floral Kingdom has 9600 plant species, 70% of which are not found anywhere else in the world.
- South Africa is home to the largest land mammal (Elephant), smallest mammal (Least Dwarf Shrew), fastest mammal (Cheetah), largest bird (Ostrich) and the largest fish (Whale Shark).
- The African Black-Footed Penguin, the largest colony of which is found on Dyer Island off the Western Cape, can swim up to 40 kilometres per hour which is faster than the Atlantic Bottlenose dolphin.